Friday, January 11, 2013

40 Days of Prayer - Day #5

One of the first concerts I attended was the Christian rock group Petra.  It was at Worlds of Fun one Summer with my family.  It was really hot and I remember that we sat way too close to the speakers.  I listened regularly to their album, "This Means War" while kickin' it in my stone washed jeans.  Totally awesome, huh?  At least I'm not reminiscing about Stryper.

Petra wasn't the most musically gifted band.  But they were probably the most passionate and had great messages in their lyrics.  I still love the song "More Power to You," but as I was praying this morning I remembered their hit, "Get on Your Knees and Fight Like a Man."  Although it wasn't exactly inclusive for today's standards, it was memorable.  I thought of it today after my devotion as I kneeled to pray in our living room.  Simply, I thought, "I need to pray till my knees hurt."

I don't have the best knees.  I've injured both in the past and now one is surgically repaired.  But kneeling before God is a symbol of surrender.  And everyday in 2013 I want to surrender to God.  I want God to have all of me so I can experience all of his plans for my life and His church.  Whether this is what Petra meant in their song or not, I can't say.  But I know that the spiritual fight for my family and God's future will require some jeans that have worn out knees - stone washed or not.

No comments: