Monday, January 7, 2013

40 Days of Prayer - Day #1

Very excited to begin the new year with a 40 Day Prayer Challenge.  Our church is studying the book of Hebrews together and reading the book "Draw the Circle" by Mark Batterson.  We are all looking forward to what God will do in us and through us as we take time to focus, pray and listen.

I have a lot of things that I want to pray over during these 40 days: my family, our church, my neighborhood, miracles, divine appointments and more.  But I wanted to start the journey with a blank slate and see what God is trying to do first.

Today is my day off so there's little to keep me from spending time talking and listening - other than my two year old who keeps handing me maracas and asking me to dance.  Man am I glad that only she saw my dance.  Yikes.

My first prayer time in this journey led me to one word - "new".  Scripture is full of references to this word.  In Revelation 21:5, we hear the promise, "I will make all things new."  And in Isaiah 43:9, "Behold, I am about to do a new thing."  Then there is one of my favorites from the book of 2 Corinthians - "If anyone is in Christ, they are a New Creation; the old has gone and the new has come."

God is determined to do new things in us.  To wipe away the old and usher in the new.  My prayer is that I would not cling to the old, but open my mind, heart and hands for the new works that he wants to do in my family, His church and my life.  Sometimes new is exciting while other times it can really stretch us.  Whatever the case, I look forward to the new things that God will do in 2013!

No comments: