Tuesday, January 29, 2013

40 Days of Prayer - Day #22

I meditated on a scripture this morning out of the book of Genesis.  I considered the story of Abraham and his son Isaac.  Isaac was the son that Abraham and Sarah thought they would never have.  Needless to say, Isaac was very dear to Abraham.  But God tested Abraham to see what was most important to him.  He asked Abraham to climb a mountain and sacrifice his own son.  Unbelievable.  What great faith Abraham had to climb the mountain and even raise the blade before God intervened at the last second.  Lets face it, not many people could climb a mountain with their child to sacrifice him or her.  Even with God ordering us to do so.
As crazy as this story sounds, we have to remember how well Abraham and God knew each other.  They had an amazing connection.  Abraham was referred to in scripture as "a friend of God."  This isn't a facebook kind of friend.  No, this is a deep and meaningful relationship.  As I pondered this scripture, I was challenged to do all that I can to become a better friend of God's.  God created me with a purpose and sent his Son to die for me so that I might have life to the full in this world and the next.  God is always there for me when I need Him, and He has left me detailed instructions for life in the form of the Bible.  What is asking of me?  To devote my life to loving Him and others.  He hasn't asked me to sacrifice my son.  God has asked for my time, my heart and my talents.  My prayer is that I learn to do give them to God without hesitation.  Just as a true friend would.

No comments: