Wednesday, January 9, 2013

40 Days - Day #3

Today's scripture reading reminded me that everyone has favorites.  We have our favorite foods, favorite hobbies, favorite clothing, and even favorite prayers.  I love to pray.  I never do it enough, but time with God is refreshing and life changing.  Connecting with my Creator, who loves me and listens to my every word, is something scripture reminds us is crucial to our relationship with God.  Even more, we are given great ideas and examples on how to pray throughout the Old and New Testament.  

1 Timothy 2:1 tells us, "I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them."  I love it when the Apostle Paul is so specific.  He tells us to pray for "all people."  Not just our favorite people or the people that really like us - all people.  Reflecting on this today has made me realize that this is one of the many places that I need to stretch. 

We all have relationships that are a little strained.  And we all have people who we see or think about that really don't make us jump for joy.  We all have our biases and that keeps us from interceding for certain people.  But I want that to change.  I want to extend love through prayer to all that I can.  The people I see, bump into or interact with.  No limits.  

This includes the lady who came in three times to McDonalds last Friday and complained about the McRib staining her sweater.  It includes those who have hurt me and those who aren't my friends on Facebook.  It even includes Mizzou fans.  That last sentence was tough to type.  

Prayer is powerful.  Its our way to reach up to Heaven and connect with a God who is determined to connect with us.  When I tell someone that I'm praying for them, I always get a positive reaction - whether they are a believer or not.  Because everyone hopes that God cares, which is why I need to pray for all that I can!

No comments: