Tuesday, January 8, 2013

40 Days - Day #2

I've been getting in trouble lately.  Over the past few evenings, my wife and I have enjoyed watching the tv show "Psych."  Very funny detective show.  I'm getting in trouble though because I'm laughing so loud that its waking up my kids.  I know its inconvenient, but who doesn't love to laugh?

I relish the opportunity to laugh with a good book or movie or to hear a funny story.  Remember the last time you laughed until you cried?  Or maybe laughed till you did something else (thankfully thats not happened to me)?  Good times, right?  I remember going to the movies to see "Dumb and Dumber" and having a blast laughing out loud with a crowded theatre.  But next to me was my friend from college who was with his new girlfriend.  She was a little uptight and wasn't enjoying it.  Neither was he.  I couldn't believe that he wasn't rolling in the aisle with me.  But I didn't care.  I wasn't going to let them steal my joy and laughter.

When I was thinking about this last night, I remembered Paul's words from Philippians 4 which say, "Rejoice in the Lord always.  And again I say rejoice."  He wrote those words from prison.  If Paul can smile and rejoice in prison, how much more should I do so in my life?  This year, my prayer is to smile, rejoice and laugh more than ever.  No matter what the situation or trial, I know that I have reason to smile.  Even more, I want to help others find the Reason for life and a lasting purpose that will give them never ending joy.

No comments: