Wednesday, January 30, 2013

40 Days of Prayer - Day #23

Today's reading in my devotional "Draw the Circle" was timely.  Recounting Abraham's journey of faith where Genesis 11 tells us that he set out and literally "did not know where he was going," the author, Batterson, challenges us to embrace a new sequence of faith; Go, Set, Ready.  As a contemplative person, I have a tendency to follow the sequence of ready, set, set, set and go.  Some of my past hesitations have reminded me that if I was in a Nascar race, I would be last off the starting line as I was doing one last check of my mirrors and gauges.

Too many times I have talked myself out of taking risks.  After praying about moving to plant a church for several months, I finally prayed to God, "can I do this?"  "Am I really ready for this?"  God swiftly and clearly replied, "No, but I am."  I knew we would be moving to Omaha from that moment on.  God was ready and waiting for us to take the first step.

There is nothing wrong with being cautious and wise.  But there is a difference between that and looking for excuses.  I'm ready to see God move in my life and our church like never before.  Instead of last off the line, I need a few false starts.  Honestly, I think God would prefer that with our faith.

I don't want to come up with excuses at the end of 2013.  Rather, I am looking forward to listing miracles.  We will move to a bigger space this year.  It will stretch my faith and our church like never before.  I'm not sure where, but I'm ready to move forward.  Just as I read in Draw the Circle, "If you wait until you're ready, you'll be waiting for the rest of your life."  I'm not ready for all that God wants to do in 2013, but God is.  So let's go!

No comments: