Monday, October 8, 2007

The Rental

I spent the day checking off the last "to do's" before my operation tomorrow (knee to be scoped). One of those things was to call the hospital and double check the time of the surgery and my preparations. The nurse told me a lot of things I already knew, but one of her last questions was something I hadn't covered. "Have you gotten your crutches?" I didn't know that I was suppose to get them. Since I haven't needed them before, I thought they would provide them. Oh well, the nurse instructed me to go to Bakers and rent them, so I did.

As I was hauling them to my car I remembered how much I was dreading having to use them. Just the word crutches has a negative stigma attached to it. But within moments of dreading the crutches, I also realized that it will be a good reminder of my own spiritual condition.

It's not easy to be totally dependant upon God. Before my journey of faith started, I was very independent. I wanted to do it all on my own. I wish I could say that I have learned my lesson, but I still like to take the reins and make it feel like I am in control.

To be totally dependent on God, though, is not like walking with crutches. Your not hobbled or laim. Rather, we can willingly share our joys, burdens, fears and problems with a God who is loving, powerful and gentle. "Come to me, all you who are wearied and burdened, and I will give you rest." Christ wants to both lead us and comfort us in our time of need. He will walk ahead of us and clear the trail, and when we get tired, he will let us lean on him, or better yet, carry us. If these crutches remind me of a God who will do that, then they are worth the hassel.

No comments: