Tuesday, October 2, 2007

More than enough

As I was eating dinner tonight and watching the news, I listened to the reporter interview the Omaha Food Bank about their shortage. The reporter explained that gas prices and lack of food drives in the summer have led to the shortage. Higher costs cause most people to just complain, while people who are already in need struggle to get by.
After listening, I went to my pantry and opened it. More than enough. Even with another big gas hike, we wouldn't go hungry. I then remembered the conversation that I had with the service tech on my furnace yesterday. We talked about the need for a more efficient and newer furnace (mine's 30 yrs old). But there are people who don't have any heat source going into this winter. I have more than enough.
This reminds me of one of the most challenging passages in scripture. "I tell you the truth, when you refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help me." (Matt. 25:45)
Obviously we can't help everyone. But when we have more than enough, then we should move beyond our petty complaints and reach out and lend a hand. Next time I stress about a high bill or unexpected cost, I will go to my pantry. A little perspective never hurt.

No comments: