Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Attitude is everything

Today I had an unexpected phone call.  The organization that we collected food for was at the church and ready to load it all up.  One problem: nobody was there to open up the church.  I thought I would have a heads up on a time, but that was lost in the shuffle.  I explained to the driver that I would hurry over and help open up and get the food into the truck.

I have to admit that the unexpected interruption was one of many for me today.  I wasn't accomplishing any of what I had hoped.  So, what should have been a joyous experience was more of a "let's get this over with."  We have all been there, right?

Reflecting back on it, I realized that my poor attitude kept me from experiencing a real blessing.  The blessing of watching boxes and bags of donated food be delivered to the needy.  It reminded me of a passage in Philippians that says, "Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.  Tell God what you need and thank him for all he has done."  What do I need?  A better attitude and a thankful heart.  Next time I'll remember that what I'm missing out it isn't nearly as important as what's in front of me.

No comments: