Tuesday, May 4, 2010

What We Learned - Part 3

Last year my wife was reading an article about the economy and what experts called "recession proof careers." She told me that both mental health and clergy where on the list. After my wife's company went bankrupt and she called me, choking back tears, to say that she no longer had a job, we now know that nothing is recession proof and that so called "experts" writing articles may have given themselves their title.

But even more than a lesson on sketchy journalism, my wife and I were reminded of a truth that has endured for thousands of years. There is only one place to find geniune, fail-safe security. As Psalm 144 describes, "The Lord is my loving ally, and my fortress, my tower of safety and rescuer. He is my shield and I take refuge in him." We knew this truth before my wife lost her job and was in a car accident. But it is in the midst of these life changing experiences that God's Word becomes very real.

Up until April 16, we had our life and future mapped out. We had our necessities and more taken care of. If we wanted to go out to eat, we jumped in the car and drove to the food court in the mall (we've always been pretty froogle). Honestly, we didn't have to worry if a check would clear. Yes, we were blessed, but honestly, had probably taken it for granted. More accurately, we unintentionally had assumed the sole responsibility of keeping our family and livelihood secure.

After losing her job, my wife remarked to me that "now we know where we really find our security." This comment was a stark contrast from our thinking a year before when the experts told us our careers made us safe. And as I was reflecting back on our experiences today, I thought that it was only fitting that earlier in April we selected the name for our unborn daughter - Haven. One day, we will share with our little girl about how God reminded us - while she was in the womb - that our safety, security and refuge is really found in Him.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have been reading the blog and love it!

It is so neat to see God at work in the little and big things in all of our lives...through trials and fears

Deuteronomy 31:8
"The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you"

Psalm 18:32
"It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect."

Corinne