Thursday, April 29, 2010

What We Learned - Part 2

After my wife returned from her trip to San Diego a few weeks ago and unpacked, we had some time to chat for a while at home. She told me all about her vaction with her sister, and I let her know all the guy stuff that Jackson and I had fun doing while she was away. Once Jackson was tucked in, I explained to my wife that I wanted us to spend more time together in prayer and devotions. We decided to make 10pm a regular prayer time.

We took turns each night of the week praying for our family, her job, the church and friends. Also, we looked at scripture together and discussed what God was saying to us. It was refreshing and relaxing. Our devotions were challenging and encouraging. And it was exactly what we needed. This was a habit that we had been instilling in our son but had been largely missing as a couple. We knew that getting back to this regular time together was overdue.

What we didn't know was that Candace was going to lose her job at the end of the week and the following week would be in a head on collision while driving home. As I look back, our moments in prayer and scripture were preparation for the coming storm. God was strengthening us and readying our hearts. All too often we run to drop to our knees in order to pray and seek God when life gets out of hand. There is nothing wrong with that. Sometimes we need to run to God and have a wake up call. However, I'm thankful that when our life was tipped upside down, we were already on our knees and prepared to trust in Him.

No comments: