Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ash Wednesday - Worth a Shot?

As I'm camped out at my usual studying spot at McDonalds this morning, I notice a group of seniors who have gathered at tables next to me.  It's not a group that I have seen here before, but they all have one thing in common - a dusting of ash on their foreheads.

My earliest memory of Ash Wednesday was when a friend of mine in middle school came to class with ash on his forehead.  My observation?  "Hey, you have some stuff on your forehead."  Cue the theological explanation and the subsequently awkward "ohhhhh, right."

Since then, I have slowly grown to appreciate Lent.  That is, from a distance.  Since I have many Catholic friends, I appreciate the dedication and anticipation for Easter.  But when it comes to observing, listening to conversations of what others are giving up and saying, "thats cool" is as close as I've come.  But just last year I learned of a couple in our church that had begun practicing Lent and that it was a very meaningful spiritual practice.  I had often wondered if I should give Lent a shot in my own walk with Christ.  Now I have a good excuse.  My parishioners have inspired me.

So this year it begins.  The original purpose of lent - a practice that dates back to the 8th century - is to prepare your heart to focus on the sacrifice of Christ by sacrificing something yourself.  When checking out www.whattogiveupforlent.com the phrase "a controlling factor of your life" stuck out. What am I giving up?  Eating after 8pm.  I usually eat one to two snacks at night despite warnings from my wife such as, "Don't do it" and "You don't need it."  Seems like this would be a good place to start.

As with any spiritual practice, the original purpose and design can be lost.  Consequently, the practice becomes an empty ritual.  This was the case for the Pharisees in New Testament.  Even something as simple as keeping the Sabbath had become rigid and legalistic.  As Jesus so adamantly pointed out time and again to the Pharisees, they were missing the point.

But as the prophet Isaiah so aptly described in verses 5-7 of chapter 58, its not about "going through the motions."  Every spiritual practice on the outside should correspond with our thoughts, feelings and actions.  Giving something up must start and end with us offering something up from our hearts.  In other words, as I give lent a shot, I need to worry more about what will change in my heart rather than what will change in my stomach.  And so it begins.

1 comment:

Pastor DanC. said...

Nice insight. It is amazing to me that I really didn't know anything about Lent and particularly Ash Wednesday until I had been a Pastor for several years. It has also become very meaningful to me in the past few years...and I learn a little more each year. Thanks Pastor Jay!