Friday, July 10, 2009

The Circle of Life

When I hear of the phrase "circle of life," I usually think of the cheesy Elton John song in the movie The Lion King. But recently that phrase is taking on a new meaning.

About a month ago my wife asked my son Jackson what kind of birthday party he wanted, and he quickly answered, "Star Wars!" This came after I told him he couldn't watch Star Wars until his 4th birthday. As a boy (and an adult) I was a huge Star Wars fan so I found it interesting that my son was also becoming enamored by the franchise. Even more, I realized that after looking through some old photos that my 4th birthday (in 1979) was also a Star Wars party. Wow. Now that's the "circle of life."

I will really enjoy the party tomorrow. It will be a great celebration for my son (one that he has been counting down for a while), and it will be a bit nostalgic as well. I will love taking a picture of my son in his Star Wars shirt and Jayhawks hat. He's definitely taking after his Dad in many things. Thinking about it tonight, however, has made me hope that my love for Star Wars and Jayhawks are not the only loves I pass down to my son.

In fact, I hope tomorrow is a joy and a reminder that more than my interests and hobbies, I want to pass down my love for Christ. I know that it's my responsibility to demonstrate the love of Christ in a very real and consistent way so that my son will want to know more about Him. Sure, I will continue to read Jackson the Bible, take him to church and pray with him. But I know that my son must witness my love and devotion to Christ in order for him to really want to experience a relationship with Jesus. I can't make him love Christ or convince him with eloquent speech. It's up to me to show him what matters most. So, let the parties continue and the Jayhawks keep winning, and more than anything, may Christ live through me.

No comments: