Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Thankful

Sunday morning, 2:25am, and we awake to a loud rumbling. The storm is here and not far away. For others, its in their neighborhood or headed for right for them. An F2 tornado that radar hasn't even detected yet.

The next morning the strength of the storm is fully realized. By a handful of people, its in the form of their roof or half their home gone. One family wasn't home, thankfully, and the father wondered out loud as he looked at the open sky from his daughter's room, "what if we had been here?"

I wondered about the closeness of the storm as well. What if it had landed in my back yard? On my roof? As scary as that thought is, I am thankful that God is watching over me and my family. I can be reassured that even though there are countless uncertainties in this life, his love for me is unchanging. And for the times when danger is near, I have God as "my shield" there to protect us.

When I prayed with my son the following night, I reminded him of the short prayer that God answered when we prayed the night before; "Lord, we pray for our family - protect us."

I am thankful God was listening.

No comments: