Monday, September 17, 2007

Did you forget me?

On Saturday we all witnessed a game that was less than competitive. Despite their efforts, the Huskers were no match for the Trojans. The game reminded me of a soccer game I officiated two nights earlier. It was an under 10 contest that featured two teams which were very different from each other. One was quick and skilled, while the other was not so quick and still learning the game.

Within two minutes, the skilled team was ahead. After 10 minutes they had three goals. At half time, it was 6 to nothing. As I watched this unfold, it was tough to see eight boys celebrate their dominance while eight others wondered if they would ever have something to cheer about. At the final whistle, it was 12 to nothing. I did my best to console the boys and their coach and reminded them that things would get better.

For us, sometimes we find ourselves watching other people celebrate great things and wonder if God has forgotten us. In Psalm 13, David asks that very question, "how long will you forget me?" I know that I have prayed that before - God, have forgotten my needs? Will you ever give me my moment of celbration.

But as David puts it at the end of Psalm 13, God's love is unfaling. That means He won't forget us. And we can trust in him. And we will have our time to celebrate.

No comments: